Water damage can happen anytime, be it workplace or home. It can pose serious health and safety concerns for you and the people using the area. The moment you spot a sign of water damage, you must take immediate action.
Causes of water damage
Here are some causes of water damage:
- Damaged pipes: Broken pipes are the leading reasons for water damage. It may happen due to many causes like deteriorated water supply lines, change in pressure, sewer drains, cold weather, and many more. We have noticed signs like loose or cracked tiles, water stains on the floor or walls, bulging walls are all the causes of damaged pipes. You would need proper restoration services to get it fixed.
- Foundation: If the cleaning and sanitation of gutters are not done correctly, they get clogged, resulting in water leakage in the building foundations. A poor drainage system can often lead to water damage to the foundation. If the water damage is more than good damage, the restoration company will help you out.
- Roof leaks: If you have leaky roofs, then it can cause ceiling damage, mildew issues, fire hazards, or many more. Exposure to heavy snow or rains can make roofs much more vulnerable to damage.
- HVAC Problems: The HVAC systems work by cooling or heating the air through a series of ducts. By using them frequently, these ducts wear out and get damaged, resulting in leaks. The HVAC systems need to be cleaned regularly.
- Sewer clogs: The sewer water usually contains pathogens and bacteria that cause infections and illnesses. If you see any signs of sewage damage like gurgling or water backing up out of the toilet or drain, you need to call for emergency restoration service.
Prevention of water damage
Here’s how you can prevent water damage from happening. All you need to do is take the necessary steps to prevent water damage; otherwise, you might have to look for professional restoration services.
Take all the needed measures to prevent water damage, and it can save you from interruptions and costly repairs in the future. The water damage can come from any source, so it is essential to regularly have the building inspected to prevent leaks and other issues.
- Creation of flood monitoring system: You must take care of where your house or business is located. If it is in a flood-prone area, you must ensure to have an efficient flood warning system. The other reasons for flooding can be plumbing failures, melting snow, or overflowing rivers. You might need to seek a damage restoration company if not taken prior care of.
- Coverage for your property: Flooding is usually not included in property insurance policies, and restoration services might cost you a fortune. Ensure water damage insurance deals with the costs even after the flood damages the property.
- Inspection of water damage: You must regularly inspect to prevent any water damage. Prevention is cheaper than restoration services so have professionals inspect your property at least once a year.
- Investing in facility maintenance: You can invest in a proper maintenance plan to keep the commercial or residential building safe and secure from any water leaks in the future. Always make sure to inspect facilities at different intervals properly. The inspection must include doors, windows, and gates and must be checked each year for weariness. If you fail to do so, you might require professional restoration services.
Water damage and mold
Mold is one of the most common effects of water damage in buildings. If the building suffers from water damage, then mold and mildew start to build up. It takes just 24-48 hours of exposure to water damage, and these dangerous microorganisms begin to grow. You can stop mold growth by fixing the source of water damage. It will help if you look for restoration companies near me to get emergency restoration services quickly.
Water damage restoration
Professional restoration services handle the job. Always keep in mind to hire a restoration company that has proper certification of water damage restoration. If you are worried about their service cost, you can purchase equipment like air scrubbers, air movers, dehumidifiers, and more. Devices like these can reduce the moisture indoor and prevent any mold growth.
Water damage in buildings is a severe problem and should be taken care of as soon as you can. Many unknown or known reasons can lead to water damage like roof leaks, damaged pipes, HVAC leaks, sewer clogs, and many more like we have already discussed above. It would be better to create a proper roof monitoring system and conduct regular inspections to save yourself from emergency restoration service costs. You can search on Google with ‘restoration companies near me’ for better knowledge and understanding.