Wooden floors are graceful, stylish, attractive, and can last for decades if looked after correctly. Most types of wooden flooring are rational, reliable, and hardwearing. Hardwood floors also add value and comfort to your home. Unlike carpets and rugs, wooden floors do not accumulate allergens. However, they will still need caring for and preservation from damage. To maintain its beauty and elegance it is important to prevent it from unwanted damage. With the change of every season, a new problem arises for your hardwood floors. As winter brings snow, spring has rain, chlorine and saltwater is added by summer, more dirt and leaves comes with Fall.
Here are some tips one must follow to maintain the wooden floor:
- Cleaning debris from the floor is the key and picking up the right cleaning material is also important. Harsh chemicals on the wooden floor are not recommended. Clean the spill immediately and for that purpose use the dry mop or slightly damp cloth. Be sure to clean wood flooring in the right way to prevent damage from moisture as wood is susceptible to water damage.
- If you are a pet owner, trim your nails as it causes scratches on the floor. Or when you walk around the room with putting your sandals on this will also be a cause of unsightly scratches on the floor. So try to lessen the use of shoes indoor.
- Avoid the use of steam cleaner for the wooden floor as it declines its finish look and potentially degrades the material of the wood. Wooden floors should be cleaned with a proper pH balanced wooden floor cleaner to preserve and protect the finish. Do not slide the furniture instead call a friend and pick things up to move them. You can also add the use of anti-scratch pads.
- When your wooden flower starts to look dull over time, give them a new look through recoating. This involves the application of a new coat finish over the site of the wooden floor and deep cleaning of it after every 3 to 4 years. This will be a great aid in preserving wooden floors for a long span.
- The right way of cleaning your wooden floor is simple. All you require is to sweep the floor surface with a soft bristle brush. Do this on daily basis to remove any small surface dirt or dust. The use of a vacuum cleaner will help you more and make sure that you have the correct fixes for a wooden floor.
- Once your floor has been swept, you can then clean it to eliminate any surface stains or marks, when you notice any surface stains. To clean your floor, use a microfiber mop and PH neutral cleaning spray. This will be gentle but also effectively work on your wooden floor. You should never use furniture polish as this will leave a slippery residue on it. For any type of refinishing for large dents, we recommend you to call an expert for help.