Long Island Flood Mapping Services: Know More About Flood Control

If you have seen a birds-eye view of the place you are living in from satellite images, the layout may look random. But if you lay a zone map over the satellite images, the areas of wilderness and the curving streets makes a lot of sense.

These zones are places or areas that are frequently flooded during rainy seasons or a typhoon. These areas have a bigger chance of getting flooded during a disaster or weather events. And while there are various levels of zones, it is best if you prepare your home for the worst thing to come.

Listed below are some steps that you can take to check or evaluate flood risk homes, and protect them against it. For more information about this topic, you can check out companies like Long Island flood mapping services or government agencies related to flood control.

Check with the Federal Emergency Management Agency

FEMA or the Federal Emergency Management Agency has an easy-to-use tool that shows the address of your home is in a zone. The FEMA Flood Map Service Center will show information like floodways, zones, as well as the risk level, your house can face. There is also infrastructural and topographical information about features like coastal barriers, base flood lines and levees. At first, these maps may not make a lot of sense, but it is a lot easier to read them than it seems.

How to use the zone map

These maps will show the overlays of some flood-prone regions and the risk it will pose to your property. You might say things like “0.2 Pacific Crest Trail Yearly Chance of Flood Hazard” or “Areas with Minimal Flood Hazard.” Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Managing Floodplain Development through the National Flood Insurance Program can help people decode some terms that are a bit confusing to them.

If you take a closer look, some of the description or classification looks dated. The dates refer to the time when your area was officially adopted to the map. You can toggle the dates on the map on and off or you can see an updated version by visiting the Dynamic Map feature.

Find out more how FEMA works by visiting this site.


Consider getting a flood insurance

If you are living in a flood-prone area, the next thing you need to do is to find out if your house is insured in case it gets flooded. While it is more common compared to fire, a lot of homeowner policies do not cover damages incurred during this kind of natural disaster.

Insurance policies for floods are usually available through private companies, but you can also get government-sponsored plans through NFIP or the National Flood Insurance Program. These insurance policies can cost between $100 to $1,000 per year. Still, the NFIP has other ways that you can lower the insurance cost by adequately protecting your home against water surge.

You can check out flood-related government agencies to know more about the NFIP and how to minimize the cost of insurance policies. Experts also recommend people to watch videos of insurance policies to help them understand their policy options a lot better.

Use sensors

There are some ways homeowners can prevent their homes from getting flooded. One way is to use a sensor device that can notify them if there are water leaks. It can detect leaks from the washing machine, weather-related flooding in the basement or leaks on the water heater. There are also home security systems that offer water detectors to help catch early signs of flooding.

To know more about this kind of insurance, visit https://www.iii.org/article/facts-about-flood-insurance for more information.

Make sure to keep track of any changes

With changes and new construction in floodplains, zones and topography, designations can change as time goes by. You need to make sure that you plan ahead of time to check for any changes in your real estate or property’s designation when the time comes.

At least check every five years or so. If you think that you will have a hard time memorizing or remembering, you can tie it to your birthday. When you reach an age that ends in a certain number (for example, 2 or 3), it is time to visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency to check the status of your home’s flood zone.

Post Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *